|The strong finisher Black Arthur will have a wide draw to contend with come this Vodacom Durban July 2016|
5) BLACK ARTHUR - 7/1
Trainer: Justin Snaith
Jockey: Douglas Whyte
Owner: Mr A N & The Hon Mrs G R Foster
Age / Sex: 3yo / Colt
Merit Rating: 106
Colours: Scarlet, gold crossed sashes, scarlet sleeves with gold circle, gold cap
Vodacom Durban July Draw: 17
Weight Carrying: 55.5kg
Total Runs: 6
First Place: 4
Runs at Greyville: 1 (1 WIN)
Runs at 2200m Distance: 0
1st in the KZN Guineas (1600m)
4th in the Investec Cape Derby (2000m)
Justin Snaith - "Black Arthur is doing very well but has a terrible draw to overcome. At this stage, apart from the draw, I have to say he is a big runner."
MAGIC TIPS (Winning Form) Comment:
Brilliant colt, excellent local debut win, merit rating taken care of by his trainer.
This fast improving Silvano colt had an eye-catching local debut win in the Guineas over a mile on this track and his conditioner has protected his merit rating nicely since. He is right up there with the best of his generation and judging from his finish in the nine furlong feature at Kenilworth earlier this year, he should relish this distance. His wide draw in a likely slow run contest is a huge obstacle but the yard has engaged a top international jockey who is renowned for placing his mounts well.
- Black Arthur was has won four of his last five starts. The most recent being a cracking run in the KZN Guineas running on from the back of the field. Watch the race here!
- Black Arthur has been drawn 17. The last horse to win the Durban July from this draw was Beau Art in 1980. Prior to this was in 1920 with Pamphlet!
- South African-born jockey Dougie Whyte is being flown in from Hong Kong to take the ride on Black Arthur. He will arrive on the day of the meeting!
- This will be Dougie Whyte's 15th attempt at the Vodacom Durban July. He has finished second on three occasions - his most recent being on Pierre Jourdan in 2011. This was his last ride in the Durban July.
- Black Arthur is one of four Justin Snaith trained runners in this race. The others being Bela-Bela, It's My Turn, and Dynamic.
- Justin Snaith has trained two Vodacom Durban July winners. The most recent being Legislate in 2014. He also trained Dancer's Daughter, who dead-heated with Pocket Power in 2008.
- Both Justin Snaith's Durban July winners have not crossed the finish line first on their own! Legislate ran second, but was promoted to first position after an objection was lodged against Wylie Hall. Dancer's Daugher dead-heated with Pocket Power.
- Justin's father Chris Snaith is also a Vodacom Durban July winning trainer. He trained Flaming Rock to victory in 1991.
- Justin Snaith was champion trainer in the 2013/14 season. He currently sits 2nd on the log for the current 2015/16 season.