|FRENCH NAVY will carry the top weight 2016 Vodacom Durban July, and is a top contender for the crown!|
1) FRENCH NAVY - 15/2
Trainer: Sean Tarry
Jockey: Weichong Marwing
Owner: Mr C J H Van Niekerk
Age / Sex: 4yo / Gelding
Merit Rating: 115
Colours: Royal blue, red spot, halved sleeves, royal blue cap
Vodacom Durban July Draw: 4
Weight Carrying: 60kg
Total Runs: 19
First Place: 6
Runs at Greyville: 3 (1 WIN, 1 Place)
Runs at 2200m Distance: 1
3rd in the Rising Sun Gold Challenge (1600m)
2nd in the Champions Challenge (2000m)
3rd in the Sansui Summer Cup 2015 (2000m)
1st in the SA Classic 2015 (1800m)
1st in the Daily News 2015 (2000m)
Sean Tarry – "French Navy is doing very well and will be spot on for the race. I cannot complain about the draw and he is course and distance suited. The July is traditionally a tough race but if he stays out of trouble I will expect a big run from him."
MAGIC TIPS (Winning Form) Comment:
Excellent prep, well-weighted, likely slow pace only concern.
This four-year old bay gelding has had a wonderful preparation for this contest and he is extremely well treated at the weights on official ratings after the revised weight structure. One of his two Grade 1 victories was on this track and is eye-catching last run over shorter would have brought him on appreciably. The Tarry inmate will love this rise in distance and he is a huge contender, with the likely sedate gallop the only concern for the son of Count Dubois.
- French Navy has won an incredible R4,436,625 in his 19 runs! The most in this field.
- This will be French Navy's second attempt at the Vodacom Durban July. He finished in 6th place in 2015.
- His trainer Sean Tarry has won the Vodacom Durban July twice. In 2012 with Pomodoro, and in 2013 with Heavy Metal.
- Watch Sean Tarry talk about French Navy here!
- French Navy runs in the same colours as the above Durban July winners. He is owned by Mr Chris van Niekerk.
- He will carry the top weight in the race at 60kg. The last horse to win carrying 59.5kg or more was in 2013 with Heavy Metal. The next heaviest winner was Pocket Power in 2008 carrying 58kg.
- French Navy has not run out of the top 4 in his last seven races, with 2 wins.
- French Navy is drawn 4. The last horse to win from the 4th gate was Dunford in 2005.
- Jockey Weichong Marwing will ride in only his 5th Vodacom Durban July. His best finish in the race was in 5th place onboard Irridescence in 2005. He did however ride that horse to victory in the QE11 Cup in Singapore the following year.
- Weichong Marwing is the brother to trainer Weiho Marwing, who trains fellow Durban July runner Mac De Lago.
Bet on FRENCH NAVY now at Hollywoodbets!