|Master Sabina will look to replicate his Sansui Summer Cup victory in the Vodacom Durban July 2016|
4) MASTER SABINA - 25/1
Trainer: Geoff Woodruff
Jockey: Gavin Lerena
Owner: Mr M De Broglio
Age / Sex: 6yo / Gelding
Merit Rating: 108
Colours: Royal blue, gold braces, royal blue sleeves, gold seams, striped cap
Vodacom Durban July Draw: 8
Weight Carrying: 56.5kg
Total Runs: 23
First Place: 8
Runs at Greyville: 2 (1 WIN)
Runs at 2200m Distance: 1 (1 WIN)
1st in the Sansui Summer Cup 2015 (2000m)
2nd in the Sansui Summer Cup 2013 (2000m)
Geoff Woodruff – "Master Sabina’s Cape form is best ignored as he was not allowed to race as he likes best. Gavin Lerena has ridden him in work since his return and says he is back to his best. He has a good turn of foot and has won on this track. In my opinion the race will be won by a 4 year old."
Gavin Lerena - ”I have been pleased with the work MASTER SABINA is showing me and his recent grass gallop was very nice. In my opinion, it will be tough for a three-year-old to win this time but Black Arthur may be one to do it. Master Sabina’s work is improving all the time and from his good draw I give him a big chance.”
MAGIC TIPS (Winning Form) Comment:
Captured the Summer Cup with this pilot, will be fitter.
This combination were victorious in the Summer Cup in late November last year and the globetrotting Gavin Lerena once again teams up with this veteran gelding for the powerful Woodruff yard, who incidentally have a solid record in the event. The preparations haven't gone well for the son of Jet Master who had a moderate Cape stint during the summer but he will strip fitter after no doubt needing his comeback run, six weeks ago. He is weighted to be competitive and won his only c & d attempt on this day, two years ago.
- Master Sabina comes into this race as a winner of 1 of the big 3 feature races in South Africa - the Sansui Summer Cup in 2015.
- Master Sabina is one of only two six year olds in the race - the other being Dynamic.
- Master Sabina won the Tabgold 2200 (2200m) in 2014 on Durban July day. He is the only horse in this race to have won at this distance.
- Master Sabina will jump from draw 8. The last horse to win from draw gate 8 was Super Quality in 1997 (19 years ago).
- Trainer Geoff Woodruff has won the Vodacom Durban July on two occasions, in 1999 and 2000 with the same horse - El Picha.
- Geoff Woodruff also trained third place finisher in the 2015 Vodacom Durban July - Tellina.
- Geoff Woodruff is the son-in-law to legendary trainer Terrence Millard, who trained six Durban July winners.
- Watch an interview with trainer Geoff Woodruff as he talks about Master Sabina here!
- Jockey Gavin Lerena was onboard Master Sabina when he won the 2015 Sansui Summer Cup.
- Gavin is no stranger to winning big races. He also won the 2011 Sansui Summer Cup onboard Dancewiththedevil. He also won the SA Derby on two occasions.
- Jockey Gavin Lerena's best finish in the Vodacom Durban July was on board Tellina in 2014, where he finished in 4th place. This will be his 7th attempt at the big race.
- Gavin Lerena was champion jockey of South Africa at the end of the 2014/15 season.