|Will the Vodacom Durban July be the time to shine for Samurai Blade?|
7) SAMURAI BLADE (AUS) - 40/1
Trainer: Sean Tarry
Jockey: Andrew Fortune
Owner: Messrs L M Nestadt, A W Bott & B Kantor
Age / Sex: 3yo / Colt
Merit Rating: 106
Colours: Yellow, royal blue epaulettes, yellow sleeves and cap
Vodacom Durban July Draw: 6
Weight Carrying: 55.5kg
Total Runs: 10
First Place: 1
Runs at Greyville: 1
Runs at 2200m Distance: 0
3rd in the SA Derby (2450m)
3rd in the SA Classic (1800m)
His prep has gone exceptionally well. His run in the Daily News was all wrong and a line can be drawn through it. He has a top jockey and I expect him to run very well.
MAGIC TIPS (Winning Form) Comment:
Excuses last time out, has definitely improved since joining this yard, don't write off yet.
This is yet another Australian import in this field and the Tarry inmate has improved significantly since joining the yard towards the end of last year. His brilliant effort behind ABASHIRI in the Derby stands out in his formline but he fluffed his lines miserably on his local debut in late May. Still, the brown colt had excuses that day and his champion trainer usually has them spot-on for big days. That first experience of this track would have brought the three-year old on and he can make good improvement here.
- Samurai Blade finished 3rd in both the SA Classic and SA Derby behind Abashiri.
- Samurai Blade has not won a race since its maiden.
- However, he has finished in the top 3 in six of its eight runs.
- Samurai Blade will jump from draw gate 6 - the same draw gate of 2015 winner Power King!
- His trainer Sean Tarry has won the Vodacom Durban July twice. In 2012 with Pomodoro, and in 2013 with Heavy Metal.
- Sean Tarry has another two runners in this race in French Navy, and Trophy Wife.
- Sean Tarry trained last year's Durban July favourite Legal Eagle. He was nominated to run the Durban July, but was later withdrawn.
- Jockey Andrew Fortune will ride Samurai Blade. This will be his 11th Vodacom July attempt.
- Andrew Fortune's best finish in the Durban July was in 3rd place aboard Free My Heart in 2000.
- Fortune has only ridden in 2 Durban July's in this millennium, in 2000 and 2011.
- Andrew Fortune currently sits 3rd on the jockey log for most wins this 2015/16 racing season, and is in terrific form.
Bet on SAMURAI BLADE now at Hollywoodbets!