|It will be déjà vu should Solid Speed win the Vodacom Durban July 2016. Can he repeat the feat of Power King?|
8) SOLID SPEED - 10/1
Trainer: Dean Kannemeyer
Jockey: Stuart Randolph
Owner: Khaya Stables (Pty) Ltd
Age / Sex: 5yo / Gelding
Merit Rating: 106
Colours: Yellow, black stripe, striped sleeves, yellow cap
Vodacom Durban July Draw: 5
Weight Carrying: 55.5kg
Total Runs: 15
First Place: 8
Runs at Greyville: 5 (3 WINS, 1 place)
Runs at 2200m Distance: 0
1st in the Betting World 1900 (1900m)
4th in the J&B Stayers (2800m)
3rd in the Golden Vase 2015 (3000m)
MAGIC TIPS (Winning Form) Comment:
In good form, loves racing in this province but slow pace a big worry.
The combination of trainer, jockey and owner were victorious in this race twelve months ago and this Dynasty gelding will be looking to repeat the feat. The five-year old has been brilliant in this province over the past two seasons and he completed his preparation with a game last win over ST TROPEZ (2kgs worse off) in the Greyville 1900, six weeks ago. The five-year old gelding is well treated by the weights and this extra 300m will suit him perfectly. However, the likely sedate gallop is a huge concern for the Kannemeyer inmate.
- Solid Speed is an 8 time winner, with his most recent victory coming in the Betting World 1900.
- Solid Speed has ran at Greyville five times, winning on three occasions and placing once.
- Solid Speed will jump from draw gate 5. The last time a horse won from here was Spanish Gaillard in 1992.
- Solid Speed is the only 5 year old in the race. The last time a 5 year old won the Durban July was in 2008 with Pocket Power (dead-heated with Dancer's Daughter).
- Solid Speed is sired by Dynasty, the Vodacom Durban July winner from 2003!
- Solid Speed will wear the same colours this year as Power King (last year's Durban July winner), and will have the same jockey, trainer and owner.
- Jockey Stuart Randolph will have his 15th ride in the Vodacom Durban July. His first victory came riding Power King in last year's race.
- Stuart Randolph will partner Solid Speed for only the 2nd time come this race.
- Trainer Dean Kannemeyer has trained three Durban July winners. Dynasty (2003), Eyeofthetiger (2006) and Power King (2015).
- Dean Kannemeyer is also the trainer of number 11, Mambo Mime.
- Dean Kanneymeyer's father Peter, trained the 1979 Durban July winner Over The Air.