Everton Unbeaten Under Allardyce

Two players chasing the soccer ball

Everton maintained their unbeaten run under Sam Allardyce as they came from a goal down to beat rock-bottom Swansea 3-1 at Goodison Park on Monday.

Match Summary 

Sam Allardyce's side found themselves trailing when Leroy Fer opened the scoring from a corner 10 minutes before half-time, but they were level at the break courtesy of Dominic Calvert-Lewin's finish after Wayne Rooney's penalty was saved.

Gylfi Sigurdsson then fired the Toffees in front with a superb long-range strike midway through the second half and Rooney completed the comeback win from the penalty spot, which extended their undefeated streak to four league games with Allardyce at the helm.

First Half

The hosts were poor in the first half as they gave the ball away on numerous occasions, which aided the opposition's cause.

Luciano Narsingh created an early chance for himself when he combined with Tammy Abraham on the right and was allowed to advance into the box before shooting straight at Jordan Pickford in the seventh minute.

That was the only piece of action in a quiet opening to the match, with the next attempt coming in the 20th minute as Wayne Rooney connected with Cuco Martina's cross from the left, but the ball looped off his boot over the crossbar.

Suddenly the game came to life as Roque Mesa volleyed over from 20 yards out under pressure from Morgan Schneiderlin, while at the other end Calvert-Lewin forced Lukasz Fabianski into a low save with his curling effort from just outside the area on 22 minutes.

Bet Now on Soccer

Narsingh threatened again soon afterwards when he was released down the right flank by Abraham and cut inside onto his left foot before lashing a shot over from 19 yards out.

Quick feet from Aaron Lennon saw him skin Alfie Mawson on 28 minutes and make his way into the box before firing wide of the near post, andTom Carroll tested Pickford with a curling free-kick from 22 yards out two minutes later.

Swansea made the breakthrough five minutes later following sloppy marking from the home defence, as Fer escaped the attention of Ashley Williams to slot home at the back post from a corner.

Martin Olsson went close to doubling the visitors' lead on 41 minutes with a long-range strike that swerved just wide of the left post, but the Merseysiders were back in the contest on the stroke of half-time.

Rooney fed Lennon from a throw-in on the right and the winger was fouled by Mesa inside the box to earn his team a penalty. Rooney's spot-kick was tipped onto the right post by Fabianski, but Calvert-Lewin reacted quickest to score on the rebound.

Second Half

There wasn't much improvement from the Toffees in the opening stages of the second half, although Sigurdsson fired straight at Fabianski from distance on 58 minutes and  Calvert-Lewin headed well wide from a corner two minutes later.

But a tweak in formation from Allardyce paid immediate dividends as Sigurdsson picked out the right corner of the net from 22 yards out in the 64th minute after cutting inside from the left following Rooney's pass.

Nathan Dyer looked for the same result five minutes later from a similar position at the other end of the pitch, but his shot went wide of the left post.

Rooney was presented with another opportunity from the spot on 73 minutes when Olsson clipped Jonjoe Kenny's heels on the right, although replays showed that contact took place just outside the area. The Toffees skipper made no mistake this time as he beat Fabianski with a powerful penalty into the left corner of the net.

Calvert-Lewin wasted a late chance to add a late fourth when Sigurdsson played him clean through on goal, but the young striker failed to beat Fabianski from inside the box.

© TEAMtalk Media

Bet Now on Soccer

Register now and start betting on Durban July Horse Racing