Hurricanes Sink Sharks Hearts in Injury Time

Super Rugby 2018: Crusaders v Bulls Preview

The Sharks were looking to make it two wins in New Zealand when they faced the Hurricanes at McLean Park.  

In the opening three minutes the Sharks ran 14 phases putting the Hurricanes defense under pressure. The visitors were awarded a penalty and  Robert du Preez jr slotted easily to give the Sharks the early advantage three points to nil.

The Hurricanes were quick to respond from a line-out from the 22 metre, the back-line swiftly moved the ball down the line from a set move before Jordie Barrett ran in for an easy five-pointer.

Ngani Laumape scored in the 16th minute after good retention of the ball from the 'Canes and a sequence of offloads saw West break the line from a show and go before his offload found Laumape who ran over to score another easy try.

The Sharks rolled the phases and put good pressure on the 'Canes and Lukhanyo Am stretched just enough to score in the corner after the TMO was called to check the grounding, and it was good. Robert du Preez jr converted successfully to bring the Sharks just two points behind the hosts.

In the 20th minute Estherhuizen broke the line and had the fullback to beat, he offloaded in the tackle  before Am was stopped just short at the base of the posts. The ref called for a five-metre scrum and Louis Schreuder went in to score. Du Preez converted to bring the match 17 – 12 to the visitors.

The Hurricanes punished the Sharks when a set move went wrong as Mvovo knocked on in their 22.

West put in a chip kick which was caught by Vince Aso who ran 80 metres untouched to score. 19 – 17 in the 30th min, advantage Hurricanes. 

Estherhuizen was proving to be a thorn in the Canes defence when his great offload found Bosch in some space who passed to Mthembu who swung to Mvovo, who gave it back to Mthembu who found Beast Mtawarira. Beast was tackled just short of the line and quick ball found Am who scored by the skin of his fingers.  27 – 19 Sharks extended their lead.

Half Time Score: Hurricanes 19 – 27 Sharks 

After the break the Hurricanes won a penalty. West took the conversion and made it a five-point game. Five minutes later the Hurricanes won a penalty after some dubious refereeing. West converted to make it a two-point game. The Sharks scored a penatly of their own to take the lead 30 – 25.

The Hurricanes dodged a bullet as the Sharks were relentless on attack but were held up on the line and the Sharks couldn’t convert their five-metre scrum. The Hurricanes stole the ball at a crucial position when Thomas du Toit was inches away from the line.

With 16 minutes to go West opted for touch in hopes to kill the game. But the Sharks stole the line-out. Ngani Laumape was in acres of space as he went for the corner but was tackled and a great steal from du Preez halted the Hurricanes.

Tyler Paul scored for the Sharks after amazing work from Curwin Bosch as he skipped two defenders. Du Preez converted to extend their lead 37 – 28. The Hurricanes won another penalty which West converted with three minutes left. 37 – 31 to the Sharks.

The closing stages of the match saw the Hurricanes up the ante as they kept hitting the Sharks who stood firm. But after a few penalty advantages the 'Canes found themselves in the Sharks 22 and  Ngani Laumape went over to score his second of the match. Ihaia West was under immense pressure as he had to score the conversion  to win the match for his side. After a great attempt to charge the ball down by the Sharks, West didn’t flinch and scored to hand his team the victory.

Full Time Hurricanes 38 – 37 Sharks 

Follow us on Twitter 

Bet now on the latest rugby event