Online Shopping and 3D Secure
We are proud to introduce a more secure online shopping experience for you! You will now receive a One-Time-Password (OTP) that will only be valid for one transaction when shopping at a 3D Secure merchant, protecting your Absa Card against fraudulent online use.
Activate your card HERE now for 3D Secure!
Online shopping safety tips
Online shopping is quick, easy, and convenient – however, there are still some safety factors that need to be considered when using your credit card to make purchases online.
- Only place an order with your credit card on trusted websites that are verified as secure sites (look for the lock image on the toolbar).
- On the Web page where you enter your credit card or other personal information, look for an “s” after ‘http://’ in the Web address of that page – it should read: ‘https://’. The encryption is a security measure that scrambles your data as it is entered.
- Ensure that the website is authentic and secure by finding out what other shoppers say. Some websites such as epinions.com and bizrate.com have customer evaluations, which can help you determine a company’s legitimacy.
- Do not send emails that contain personal information such as your card number and expiry date.
- Use good quality antivirus software – such as the free software we provide for our Internet Banking and WAP-based Cellphone Banking customers
Secure, Verified by VISA and MasterCard SecureCode
We all love the convenience of shopping online, but are concerned about the risks that may be involved. This is why technology, such as 3D Secure, has been designed – and protects you while you shop.
What is 3D Secure?
3D Secure protects you, the cardholder, and the merchant by verifying your personal details during an online purchase, prior to the transaction being processed. It ensures an additional level of protection when shopping online. This service is now enhanced with OTP instead of a static username and password.
What does OTP mean for you?
Buying online is safer than you think with OTP. It’s designed to give your Absa Card an extra level of protection against unauthorised use when shopping online. You will now receive a OTP via SMS every time you make a purchase, and this password will only be valid for that transaction.
How OTP works when you’re shopping online at participating 3D Secure merchants:
- Shop online and proceed to the checkout
- Input your 16 digit Absa Card number, Expiry date and CCV number when prompted
- You will then be asked for an OTP which you will receive via SMS on your registered cellphone number
- Finalise your purchase
3D-Secure OTP benefits for you:
- No need for registration and activation up-front
- No need to remember a username and password
- Reduces the risk of your 3D Secure password being compromised or phished
- No need to phone to unblock 3D Secure passwords
- Additional level of protection when shopping online
Where can I find more information about 3D Secure?
If you have any queries or questions about 3D Secure or need technical assistance, you can contact the 3D Secure Call Centre:
ABSA Fraud Hotline – 0860 557 557
3D Secure Call Centre – +27 (0) 11 354 4058
To REGISTER for 3D Secure with ABSA, click the below link…
ABSA – 3D Secure Activation