All the info you need to know on the Vodacom Durban July 2017 runner HORIZON. Form, tips, betting and comments are provided.
With the scratching of Elusive Silva, HORIZON from the Candice Bass-Robinson yard has been entered into the 2017 Vodacom Durban July. Learn more about this three-year-old bay colt below. Form and comments are provided courtesy of WINNING FORM.
19) HORIZON – 16/1
Trainer: Candice Bass-Robinson
Jockey: Richard Fourie
Owner: Hunkydory Investments 15 (Pty) Ltd
Age / Sex: 3yo / Colt
Merit Rating: 100
Colours: Dark green and khaki checked diamonds
Durban July Draw: 18 (of 20)
Weight Carrying: 53.0 kg
Total Runs: 9
First Place: 3
Runs at Greyville: 3 (1 WINS, 1 PLACE)
Runs at 2200m Distance: 0
3rd in the 2017 Daily News 2000 (Gr 1) – 2000m
1st in the 2017 Politician Stakes (Gr 3) – 1800m
Richard Fourie, successful on Legislate three years ago, got the call for first reserve Horizon almost immediately after the scratching of Eluisve Silva. He said: “Obviously I am very disappointed at what happened to Elusive Silva but I’m pleased to get a ride in the race, particularly on a horse with a decent chance like Horizon.”
“I rode Horizon in work on Monday and he gave me a great feel. He has lots of substance and is carrying a very handy weight. I am expecting a big run from him,” said Richard with a lot of confidence.”
Assistance trainer Robert Fayd’Herbe: “Doing well, had three runs here in KZN – he is fit and well and all is going well with him. Hopefully he gets in, if he does, he will be a big runner at the weights.”
Trainer Candice Bass-Robinson: “He is on the up and I was very pleased with his run in the Daily News. Unfortunately, he has a really bad draw but in his favour is that he is nicely weighted. I rate him as one of the better 3 year olds which puts him into the race with a chance.”
MAGIC TIPS (Winning Form) Comment:
This expensive purchase has eventually got into this contest and though held by EDICT OF NANTES & AL SAHEM on their recent meeting, the Dynasty colt still has scope for progress. His top jockey has good experience in this event having won it via the boardroom in 2014 and placed in this event aboard IT’S MY TURN last year. The bay colt will need plenty of ‘luck in running’ but also shoulders a handy galloping mass and a likely false pace won’t be a huge issue as he can quicken in the closing stages. He can run into the money here.
Verdict: Held on improved last run but still has scope for improvement.
- Horizon is the most expensive horse in this race. He was purchased by Hunkydory Investments for R5.2 million!
- Richard Fourie rode the 2014 Vodacom Durban July winner Legislate to victory for Justin Snaith. Legislate was promoted from second to first after an objection was lodged against Wylie Hall. Hollywoodbets refunded all win bets on Wylie Hall as part of their Irish Objection promotion.
- This will be Richard Fourie’s 8th Durban July ride. He has finished 1st (2014) and 4th (2016) in his last two rides.
- Trainer Candice Bass-Robinson is the daughter of now retired champion trainer Mike Bass. He trained three Durban July winners – Trademark (2001), Dunford (2005), and Pocket Power (2008 – DH with Dancer’s Daughter).
- Candice Bass-Robinson has three runners in this Vodacom Durban July 2017 field. This includes MARINARESCO, NIGHTINGALE, and HORIZON.