Connect with us


Man City Add Tottenham Scalp to Winning Streak

Two players chasing the soccer ball

Manchester City were excellent as they cruised to a comfortable 4-1 victory over Tottenham Hotspur in their Premier League clash at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday evening.

Bet Now on Soccer

First Half

City started on the front foot with Ilkay Gündogan taking advantage of some poor defending from Spurs to slot home from Leroy Sané’s corner. The Germa star sent in a delivery from the left, and Harry Winks switched off as Gündogan had the easiest of headers from close range to score.

It was one-way traffic and in the 24th minute, the hosts had two glorious chances to extend their lead. First, a wonderfully hit kick-from-hand by Ederson Moraes picked out Sergio Agüero deep in Spurs territory, and he burst into the box before forcing Hugo Lloris into a low save. The rebound fell to Raheem Sterling who fired over the crossbar when he may have done better.

Three minutes later the lively Gündogan again tested the keeper from the edge of the area although Lloris was up to the task with a parried save, before the ball was cleared to safety. City were pouring forward in waves, soon after Danny Rose produced a terrific block when Agüero cut inside from the right and fired in a left-footed strike.

The visitors were offering little in attack, until Harry Kane managed to fashion a chance out of nothing in the 35th minute. After an instant first touch set him up to shoot on the left-hand side of City’s penalty area, he struck a curling effort which fizzed just wide of Ederson’s far post.

After the break, the Londoners came close to stealing an equalizer as Christian Eriksen and Kane linked up well before Kane chipped a ball into Son’s path on the edge of the small box, but the Korean star dallied, allowing Sané to race back to clear the lines.

Second Half

Spurs showed more intent in the second stanza as a thumping strike from Kane from 25-yards out was tipped over by Ederson in the 55th minute. Yet, it was Pep Guardiola’s charges who roared forward not long afterwards as Sané blazed past Trippier on the inside towards the middle of the box, and fired in a sharp strike which Lloris parried. Sterling fluffed the rebound on the half-volley, although the flag had gone up for offside.

Nevertheless, the second goal inevitably arrived when Gündogan caught Spurs on the counter with a fast break down the middle and he found Kevin De Bruyne surging into the area on the left-hand side. The Belgian dragged the ball on to his left foot before smashing an unstoppable strike past Hugo Lloris’ hands into the far corner in the 70th minute. Four minutes later City missed a penalty when the goalscorer was brought down in the box by Vertonghen.

Substitute Gabriel Jesus saw his spot-kick hit the post before the rebound was sent into orbit by Sterling. Spurs briefly threatened in the 77th minute when good work from Érik Lamela on the right, saw the ball break to Winks in the middle of the box, but the young England midfielder could not sort out his feet and the chance went begging.

As a result, the game was killed off as a contest in the 80th minute when Gündogan picked out Sané, and the winger sent in a pin point low cross from the left to Sterling who tapped in with ease. The England winger completed his brace when Eric Dier failed to deal with a bouncing ball and the 23-year-old went through and beat Lloris to roll his effort into an empty net.

At the death, Christian Eriksen grabbed a well-taken consolation as he broke sideways across City’s penalty area, before firing a left-footed snap shot which caught Ederson flat-footed.   

Full Time: Manchester City 4 – 1 Tottenham Hotspurs

© TEAMtalk Media

Bet Now on Soccer

Register now and start betting on Durban July Horse Racing

More in Soccer